Wellness Walk 2013 for Diabetes
DIABETES IS A NATIONAL CRISIS
Three simple words: One in three.
Walkers will learn about this disease in a timely manner along a planned out EDUCATION COURSE. By the end of the walk people will understand the disease and what to do about it. Your participation will help decrease the incidence of one of the worst preventable diseases in the history of the world. Over 26 Million US residents suffer from this disease.
• Medical expenses for people with diabetes are more than 2 times higher than for people without diabetes
• Diabetes is the Leading cause of Kidney Failure: In 2008, 48,374 people with diabetes began treatment for end-stage kidney disease and a total of 202,290 people with end-stage kidney disease due to diabetes were living on chronic dialysis or with a kidney transplant.
• Lower Limb Amputations (over 65,000 in 1996 study)
• Blindness - in 2008, 4.2 million people with diabetes ages 40 years or older had diabetic retinopathy.
Why bother helping? Diabetes Costs the United States:
Total Costs $174 BILLION
Direct Medical Costs $116 BILLION
Indirect Costs $58 BILLION - disability, work loss,
84 Coxe Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
More Event Ideas
- More Other Events
- Saturday, Mar 15, 11:00 AM
- Friday, Mar 14, 6:30 PM
- Sunday, Jun 2, 8:30 PM